2019-2020 Program Year
Team UP AmeriCorps Member Position Description:
Youth Empowerment Champion
The Program: Team UP is a Collective Impact initiative serving Dolores and Montezuma Counties in southwest Colorado. Since 2015, Team UP has operated under its backbone organization, United Way of Southwest Colorado (UWSWC). Team UP’s mission is to provide a comprehensive system of support to every child in our counties, from cradle to career. Team UP collaborates across sectors and promotes clear communication towards common progress in order to make a big difference.
The Piñon Project Family Resource Center provides comprehensive services for children, youth and families in Montezuma and Dolores Counties.
AmeriCorps is part of the Corporation for National & Community Service, and has been called “the domestic Peace Corps.” AmeriCorps provides opportunities that engage thousands of Americans in intensive service to meet critical community needs.
Service Position Summary:
The Youth Empowerment Champion will be part of the Youth Empowerment Project (YEP) Team focused on providing Positive Youth Development opportunities and services to youth between the ages of 7 and 17. As part of the YEP Team, the Youth Empowerment Champion will focus on the expansion of youth programming including; Coordinated Approach to Child Health (CATCH), Before and After School Program, and Sources of Strength. Each program specifically targets increasing positive outcomes for youth and their families.
Essential Functions (Primary Responsibilities):
- Implement the CATCH (Coordinated Approach to Child Health) program with fidelity to the program model; provide an evidence-based exercise and nutritional program to various age groups of children.
- Collaborate, build partnerships and communicate effectively with schools and other agencies in the community; develop and expand community resources as they relate to the youth activities.
- Participate in monthly scheduled youth activities and act as chaperone on field trips/group outings.
- Support implementation of Sources of Strength program in area school with fidelity to the model.
- Implement the Before and After School Program; plan activities, plan and provide nutritious snacks, actively engage with youth.
- Participate in The Piñon Project and Team UP required professional development trainings.
- Follow the guidelines as established for the Youth Empowerment (YEP) program.
- Follow organizational policy and practices as outlined in The Piñon Project personnel policy.
- Track progress and collecting data for Performance Measures and other evaluation tools, including administration of program pre/post evaluation tools.
- Communicate with the regional Team UP AmeriCorps team, and represent Team UP and Serve Colorado in the community and on social media.
- Participate in Days of Service
Marginal Functions (Secondary Responsibilities):
Additional tasks include:
- Participate in The Piñon Project organizational functions (annual Pumpkin Festival and Christmas for Kids).
- Supporting United Way of SW Colorado, The Piñon Project, and Team UP AmeriCorps team as appropriate and necessary;
Physical, Emotional, and intellectual Demands:
- Professionalism: A commitment to develop and improve workplace skills and knowledge. Is reliable, trustworthy and solution focused. Is accountable for their thoughts, words and actions. Is appropriate in attire, meeting expectations, managing time and being respectful of others. Adheres to strict professional and personal boundaries between and among client(s), staff and superiors.
- Adaptability: Ability to adapt to changes in the service environment with proper management of emotions and expectations. Is open and understanding of change. Seeks guidance, as needed, to help cope with change.
- Team Player: Teamwork involves building relationships and coordinating with others through the following skills and habits. A. Cooperating, B. Contributing to groups with ideas, suggestions, and effort, C. Communication, D. Sense of responsibility, E. Healthy respect for different opinions, customs and individual preferences, and F. Ability to participate in group decision-making.
- Client Service: Provides excellent levels of customer service. Is an enthusiastic advocate of their client. Treats clients with consideration, respect and manners. Is creative when seeking solutions. Exercises sound judgment in all client matters. Maintains member/client boundaries. Ability to manage difficult or emotional client situations, responds promptly to client needs and solicits client feedback to improve performance.
- Additionally, the YEP team serves youth. This position can be both physically and emotionally challenging. As part of the team, the AmeriCorps member must be prepared to actively engage in physical activities when implementing youth activities. This position will also require a high level of patience and acceptance when serving youth; the aim is to make a connection with youth.
- Ethic of national and community service, strong desire to create positive change
- Skills or experience preferred: community and volunteer organizing; experience working with youth
- An interest in youth development and a desire to serve diverse populations
- Strong computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Apps
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High School Graduate required (GED accepted,) college graduate preferred
- Ability to pass criminal history check
- Reliable transportation, proof of auto insurance if you will be transporting others in your vehicle
- U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent resident status required
Term of Service – Time Commitment: This is a full-time national and community service position requiring, at a minimum, a total of 1,700 hours during the year (approximately 40 hours/week.) 12 month commitment.
Trainings and Support Provided: Team UP AmeriCorps members receive significant training and experience in community engagement, project implementation, leadership, diverse populations, and more. Up to 20% of total hours served may be spent in applicable, approved trainings. Member will be supervised and supported by Lucia Bueno-Valdez at The Piñon Project (firstname.lastname@example.org), as well as by Al Huckins, AmeriCorps Program Director (email@example.com). The 11 Team UP AmeriCorps members serving throughout the region will act as resources and support for each other.
Location and Service Conditions: This position is based at The Piñon Project in Cortez, and will involve service at other locations in Montezuma and/or Dolores Counties. Position is office-based, and will involve frequent days of service outdoors and in various schools and community buildings.
Benefits: Team UP AmeriCorps members receive:
- A living allowance of $17,000/year for full-time members. Taxes are deducted and the living allowance is distributed monthly, by direct deposit to the member’s bank account.
- Health insurance for full-time members; child care assistance for full-time members, if eligible.
- An education award of $6,095 upon successful completion of term of service. It is possible to defer student loans while serving as an AmeriCorps member.
- Mileage reimbursement will paid at the IRS rate for travel to required trainings and days of service. Carpooling is strongly encouraged.
- Non-tangible benefits including extensive training, valuable experience, networking, and the opportunity to serve the local community in a crucial area of need.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity: United Way values the diversity of our community. In principle and in practice the diverse nature of our board, staff, and volunteers is recognized as one of our best assets. We respect each individual’s unique gifts and prohibit unfair or discriminatory practices against anyone because of age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, gender, sexual orientation, and any other protected category.
To Apply: To apply to be an AmeriCorps member, you need to create an account with the AmeriCorps Recruitment System.
- Go to the website: my.americorps.gov, click on “Search Listings”
- Click “Search Listings.” Type “Youth Empowerment Champion” into the Program Name field.
- Additionally, please email your resume to Al Huckins, TeamUP AmeriCorps Program Director, @ firstname.lastname@example.org.