Did you know that, in addition to receiving a living allowance throughout their Term of Service, AmeriCorps members also receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of their term? The Segal Ed Award amount is tied to the U.S. Department of Education’s Pell Grant, so the exact amount changes but last year it was just over $6,000 for full-time members. That’s $6,000 that members get to put towards past and/or future educational expenses!
- Members have up to seven years from the end of their service to use their Segal Ed Award.
- Members aged 55+ may transfer their award to a child or grandchild.
- Members may use their funds to repay student loans or pay current expenses at eligible higher-ed institutions or training programs.
- Many institutions offer a match award to AmeriCorps members.
- During their Term of Service, members are eligible to have the repayment of their qualified students loans postponed while serving (loan forbearance).
Leah, our Food Security Champion in Cortez, plans to use the funds to support her goal of traveling to Spain to get her Master’s Degree in a Global Innovative Management Program. Leah plans to use her degree to continue in Food Security by working on agriculture and food security projects in Spanish-speaking communities.
Jamie, our Early Learning Champion in Cortez, has been going to school to earn her degree in Early Childhood Education while serving as an AmeriCorps member. (She’s been one busy gal, and we can’t thank her enough!) She plans to use her funds to pay off school loans so she can join the Early Childhood Education workforce after her term.
Lexi, our Food Security Champion in Pagosa Springs, is thinking about using her funds get her Wilderness EMT certification so she can combine her love of the wilderness with her commitment to helping people.
If you are interested in learning more about how to become an AmeriCorps member with Team UP AmeriCorps, please contact Team UP AmeriCorps Program Director Al Huckins @ email@example.com. OPEN POSITIONS
CAN YOU HELP? A full-time AC member costs about $32,000 per year.
United Way secures grants and contributions to cover approximately $18,000. We ask host sites to raise/obtain the other $14,000 (which is a bargain for a full-time person with benefits). Donors can contribute to further reduce the cost for a non-profit to obtain this wonderful support. Recommended contribution to offset the AC cost = $500 or more. DONATE