2019-2020 Program Year
TeamUP AmeriCorps Member Position Description:
Childhood Creativity Champion
The Program: TeamUP is a Collective Impact initiative serving Dolores and Montezuma Counties in southwest Colorado. Since 2015, TeamUP has operated under its backbone organization, United Way of Southwest Colorado (UWSWC). TeamUP’s mission is to provide a comprehensive system of support to every child in our counties, from cradle to career. TeamUP collaborates across sectors and promotes clear communication towards common progress in order to make a big difference.
The Mancos Valley Dragonfly Preschool will begin its inaugural school year in September of 2019. Through a curriculum based on the Waldorf education model in a nature–based atmosphere, our team of parents, staff, and volunteers work to inspire imaginative and mindful human beings to become advocates for the earth and humanity. While working with all members of our community, MVDP strives to provide accessible and quality early childhood education that supports each child in expressing their unique potential.
AmeriCorps is part of the Corporation for National & Community Service, and has been called “the domestic Peace Corps.” AmeriCorps provides opportunities that engage thousands of Americans in intensive service to meet critical community needs.
Service Position Summary:
The AmeriCorp member will assist the preschool’s mission to provide a quality, nature-based education for the children by focusing primarily on the development of the outdoor gardens and play space as well as organizing volunteer and community events under the direction of the school Director. When needed, the member will assist with the activities of the day. He/she will help maintain a safe and nurturing atmosphere for all children, providing a calm, loving and positive presence.
Essential Functions (Primary Responsibilities):TeamUP AmeriCorps members work with their Host Site organizations to develop, implement, and enhance programs, projects, and activities that work towards TeamUP’s and Mancos Valley Dragonfly Preschool’s goals. These duties include:
- Develop garden and outdoor play space – creating and managing garden beds and incorporating student involvement
- With support of school Director, plan and coordinate school/community events including fundraisers, family nights, and school festivals/celebration
- Support events and efforts to build school Scholarship Fund
- Communicate with and coordinate volunteer outreach and needed tasks
- Provide direct service to preschool students and their families
- Tracking progress and collecting data for Performance Measures and other evaluation tools
- Communicating with the regional TeamUP AmeriCorps team, and representing TeamUp and Serve Colorado in the community and on social media;
- Attending trainings and participating in Days of Service
Marginal Functions (Secondary Responsibilities): Additional tasks include:
- Supporting United Way of SW Colorado, Mancos Valley Dragonfly Preschool, and TeamUP AmeriCorps team as appropriate and necessary;
- Occasional office work that may include: creating mailings and PO runs
- Helping staff to clean the preschool premises upon close of the school day/week
Physical, Emotional, and intellectual Demands:
- Patience and calm while serving young children
- Flexibility and resourcefulness
- Strong organization and communication skills to best collaborate with the entire preschool team
- Emotional and physical Stamina to be with very young children for large parts of the day
- Ethic of national and community service, strong desire to work towards positive change
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; computer literate
- Skills or experience preferred: community and volunteer organizing; early childhood experience
- High School Graduate required (GED accepted,) college graduate preferred
- Ability to pass criminal history check
- Reliable transportation, proof of auto insurance if you will be transporting others in your vehicle
- U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent resident status required
- Early childhood educators are encouraged to apply
Term of Service – Time Commitment: This is a part-time national and community service position requiring, at a minimum, a total of 900 hours during the year (approximately 20 hours/week.)
Trainings and Support Provided: TeamUP AmeriCorps members receive significant training and experience in community-based work, project implementation, leadership, diverse populations, and more. Up to 20% of total hours served may be spent in applicable, approved trainings. Member will be supervised and supported by Andrea McAlpin at firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as by Program Director, the TeamUP Program Director email@example.com. The 11 TeamUP AmeriCorps members serving throughout the region will act as resources and support for each other.
Location and Service Conditions: This position is based at Mancos Valley Dragonfly Preschool. Position is office and classroom-based, and will involve occasional/frequent days of service outdoors and/or in a school and/or community building.
Benefits: TeamUP AmeriCorps members receive:
- A living allowance of $17,000/year for full-time members ($9,000/ year for part-time). Taxes are deducted and the living allowance is distributed monthly, by direct deposit to the member’s bank account.
- Health insurance for full-time members; child care assistance for full-time members, if eligible. (No health insurance or child care for part-time members)
- An education award of $6,095 ($3,047.50 for part-time) upon successful completion of term of service. It is possible to defer student loans while serving as an AmeriCorps member.
- Non-tangible benefits including extensive training, valuable work experience, networking, and the opportunity to serve the local community in a crucial area of need.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity: United Way values the diversity of our community. In principle and in practice the diverse nature of our board, staff, and volunteers is recognized as one of our best assets. We respect each individual’s unique gifts and prohibit unfair or discriminatory practices against anyone because of age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, gender, sexual orientation, and any other protected category.
To Apply: To apply to be an AmeriCorps member, you need to create an account with the AmeriCorps Recruitment System. The application period opens July 15, 2018, and the deadline is August 15, 2019.
- Go to the website: my.americorps.gov, click on “Apply to Serve” at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the requested profile information. (You will need a Social Security number and valid address, telephone number, and email.)
- Once you receive your account information via email, log on to the myAmeriCorps portal and use the navigation pane on the left to complete your application and references.
- When your application is complete, click “Search Listings.” Type “United Way of Southwest Colorado” into the Program Name field, click “Search.” Click the listing and submit your application to United Way of Southwest Colorado.